Lottery games have a long history in Belgium and can be traced back to the 1930s. The first was known as the Colonial Lottery and ran until 1962 before changing its name to the African Lottery. Two years later, the Lottery Nationale was established which was then followed in 1978 by state-sanctioned number games. One of these was the Belgium Lotto which has since gone on to become of the country’s most popular lotteries.
The Games and Odds
Belgium Lotto (6/45) –Odds of winning jackpot: 1 in 8,145,060
Euro Millions (5/50+2/12) –Odds of winning jackpot: 1 in 139,838,160
Belgium’s national lottery has a traditional 6/45 structure where participants choose six numbers and bonus ball from a pool of 45. The chances of winning the jackpot are 1: 8,145,060 with each draw guaranteeing a minimum jackpot of €1 million.
Belgium Lotto Ticket
Belgium Lotto tickets comprise 14 game boards featuring 45 check boxes which allow players to play multiple games on a single selection slip. A consecutive draw panel is located beneath the game boards which enables participants to play two, four, eight, ten or twenty consecutive games with the same numbers.
- Biggest Payout: €11.2 million
- Draw Days: Wednesday, Saturday
Belgium Lotto Prize Breakdown
- 6 correct numbers – 1st Prize
- 5 correct numbers with bonus ball – 2nd Prize
- 5 correct numbers – 3rd Prize
- 4 correct numbers with bonus ball – 4th Prize
- 4 correct numbers – 5th Prize
- 3 correct numbers with bonus ball – 6th Prize
- 3 correct numbers – 7th Prize
- 2 correct numbers with bonus ball – 8th Prize
Euro Millions is played in 9 European countries including Belgium and features a 5/50 + 2/12 format. Players pick five numbers from a pool of 50 and two ‘lucky stars’ from another set of 12. While the considerable odds of 1 in 139,838,160 dwarf those of most lotteries around the world, the same can be said of the huge payouts. In addition, there’s also a minimum guaranteed jackpot of €17 million.
Euro Millions Lottery Ticket
Euro Millions lottery tickets consist of four game boards with each containing 50 check boxes. Located to the right is a panel where players can select their lucky stars. A consecutive week panel is also included for players to use their chosen numbers for multiple draws.
- Biggest Belgian Payout: €153.8 million
- Draw Days: Tuesday, Friday
Euro Millions Breakdown
- 5 correct numbers with 2 lucky stars
- 5 correct numbers with 1 lucky star
- 5 correct numbers – Average Prize
- 4 correct numbers with 2 lucky stars
- 4 correct numbers with 1 lucky star
- 4 correct numbers
- 3 correct numbers with 2 lucky stars
- 3 correct numbers with 1 lucky star
- 3 correct numbers
- 2 correct numbers with 2 lucky stars
- 2 correct numbers with 1 lucky stars
- 2 correct numbers
- 1 correct number with 2 lucky stars
Biggest Lottery Win in Belgium – €153.8 million (Euro Millions)
The EuroMillions game awarded Belgium’s biggest jackpot in 2016. €153.8 million was paid out to an anonymous Brussels resident who pledged to donate a proportion of the substantial prize to good causes.